Call Us at (518) 884-0200 to
schedule your confidential Consultation!



Litigation | Collaboration | Mediation

Child Support

The attorneys at Donnellan Law, PLLC bring their extensive legal experience to every one of their clients. Our goal is to protect your interests, whether that means seeking the maximum amount of child support or findings ways to limit your financial exposure. Your support goals are our top priority.

The basic child support obligation to be paid by the non-custodial parent is usually based upon a percentage of the combined parental income.

In addition to the basic child support obligation, the non-custodial parent may be obligated to pay for a portion of the child care expenses related to the custodial parent’s employment or education which would lead to employment. Health care expenses for the children are also apportioned between the parents. The non-custodial parent may also be directed to pay for the children’s educational expenses.

If the amount of the basic child support obligation is unjust or inappropriate, the non-custodial parent’s pro-rata share of the child support obligation may be determined by other factors and not by a percentage. The parents may avoid the use of the percentages in determining the amount of child support by executing an agreement setting forth the amount of child support, which they believe to be fair.

An agreement determining the amount of child support must satisfy certain technical provisions of the Child Support Standards Act. The attorneys at Donnellan Law, PLLC will ensure that your Agreement complies with these technical provisions.

Neither parent has any obligation to support a child once the child reaches 21 years of age. Child support may end before 21 years of age under certain circumstances such as the gainful employment of the child or the child’s willful refusal to maintain a relationship with the noncustodial parent. Child support will be awarded by a Family Court as part of a child support proceeding or by Supreme Court as part of a divorce, separation, or annulment proceeding. Even if there is no matrimonial judgment awarded, the court will make an award of child support to the custodial parent.

If you are considering divorce contact our offices for a confidential legal consultation today.

Contact our family law and divorce attorneys for your confidential consultation today.

(Note: Messages sent using this form are not considered private. Avoid sending highly confidential or private information via e-mail.)